Johannesburg II Data Center Overview
With Johannesburg’s high demand, we are developing a second site in Ekurhuleni. Strategically located just 17 kilometers from our growing JNB1 Midrand campus, JNB2 is near the OR Tambo International Airport and less than two kilometers from the NAPAfrica neutral Internet eXchange in a region that serves as the cloud on-ramp for a number of large technology companies. The first two-story data center will consist of 355,000 square feet (33,000 square meters) and will be operational in mid-2024.
We’re pleased to offer you all the advantages that come with choosing Vantage Data Centers. You’ll find a unique combination of people and technology: cooling and power that’s both sustainable and reliable; flexible room design and rigidly enforced physical security; and amenities that keep your staff happy—all backed by operational excellence at every location as we scrupulously adhere to the same service and delivery standards across the globe.
Data Center Features
Vantage’s JNB2 data center will feature the most state-of-the-art electrical equipment to ensure maximum efficiency and reliability with the facility offering N+1 redundancy across all systems.
- Power provided by the Municipality of Ekurhuleni
- Multiple, diverse power feeds supporting the facility
- 230V electrical configuration
- 35MVA substation on site
- All systems 100% concurrently maintainable
JNB2 will use a highly efficient closed-loop chilled water system generated through air-cooled chillers. The cooling system also includes an integrated economizer capability that allows reduced compressor energy based on outside ambient temperature, so when weather is favorable, cooling becomes more sustainable and less resource intensive.
- Computer Room Air Handling (CRAH) units located in two galleries on opposite sides of each data module allow for highly efficient airflow distribution
- Closed-loop chilled water system with air-side economizers
- N+2 redundancy across all mechanical systems
- Water Utilization Efficiency (WUE) is near zero (liters/kW/hr) using the latest cooling design
JNB2 will offer multiple, diverse fiber pathways into the facility with access to both dark and lit fiber. It will be carrier neutral, giving you the flexibility to manage your own network.
- All major fiber-based service providers operating within a few miles
- Two Meet-Me-Rooms (MMRs) allowing for diverse paths and multiple connectivity options
- Two points-of-entry (POEs) ensuring maximum path diversity for inbound carriers
- Diverse fiber pathways into the facility (minimum two paths per carrier)
Stringent security and safety measures are hallmarks of every Vantage campus. Our JNB2 Johannesburg data center is no exception, so you can rest easy when it comes to the security of your digital assets.
- On-site security operations center with patrols 24x7x365
- Perimeter security gates and fencing
- CCTV on all access control points
- Dual authentication (access badge/PIN and biometric readers) for customer and critical infrastructure areas
- Visitor management system and badging to control and track onsite personnel all the time
A space where your employees can work efficiently, as well as relax and recharge, is essential. To provide that superior customer environment, our JNB2 Johannesburg data center offers dedicated office space, conference rooms and large-scale break room facilities.
- Customizable offices and workspaces dedicated to individual customers
- Secure storage with easy access between data modules
- Multiple conference rooms and meeting spaces
- Near the OR Tambo International Airport
Vantage Data Centers builds and operates our campuses in ways that prioritize sustainability and environmental responsibility, all while delivering the reliability that is our hallmark. Our baseline approach includes using renewable energy whenever possible, limiting carbon footprints, and maintaining energy efficient operations with industry-leading PUEs. We’re committed to reaching net zero carbon emissions by 2030, both by reductions in the emissions we control directly, as well as those in our supply chain we can influence. Our JNB2 Johannesburg data center delivers on this promise.
- Hyper-efficient cooling with outside air economization using minimal water
- Initial construction phase includes repurposing a portion of an existing warehouse, reducing the embodied carbon of the development
- Small things that add up over time: recycling, motion-sensor LED lights, drought-resistant landscaping and more