Johannesburg Data Center Campus Overview
With Johannesburg, otherwise known as Joburg, as the number one data center market in Africa, Vantage has opened a campus in Waterfall City, a thriving business and data center ecosystem. Just 30 kilometers from the O.R. Tambo International Airport, this new campus sits on 30 acres (12 hectares) and will feature three data centers. The first two-story facility offers 16MW of critical IT load across 130,000 square feet (12,000 square meters) with 300W/SF (3.2kW/M2) average density. The other two two-story data centers will offer 32MW each of critical IT load and 260,000 square feet each (24,000 square meters each).
We’re pleased to offer you all the advantages that come with choosing Vantage Data Centers. You’ll find a unique combination of people and technology: cooling and power that’s both sustainable and reliable; flexible room design and rigidly enforced physical security; and amenities that keep your staff happy—all backed by operational excellence at every location as we scrupulously adhere to our rigorous service and delivery standards across the globe.
Vantage’s Johannesburg data center campus will provide N+1 redundancy across all systems. An on-campus substation and state-of-the-art electrical equipment will be the foundation of maximum efficiency and reliability, ensuring customer uptime thanks to the support from our world-class in-house operations team.
- 100MVA HV substation on site
- Power provided by ESKOM
- Multiple, diverse power feeds supporting the campus
- 400V electrical configuration
- All systems 100% concurrently maintainable
JNB1 Johannesburg data center campus will use a highly efficient closed-loop chilled water system generated through air-cooled chillers. An integrated economizer capability will allow reduced compressor energy based on outside ambient temperature–when weather is favorable, cooling becomes more sustainable and less resource intensive.
- N+2 component-level redundancy across mechanical systems
- Computer Room Air Handling (CRAH) units located in two galleries on opposite sides of each data module allow for highly efficient airflow distribution
- Closed-loop chilled water system with air-side economizers
- Water Utilization Efficiency (WUE) will be near zero (liters/kW/hr) using the latest cooling design
Fiber pathways into the campus will be multiple and diverse, with access to both dark and lit fiber. The Johannesburg data center campus will be carrier neutral, giving customers the flexibility to manage their own network.
- Two Meet-Me-Rooms (MMRs) for each data center on campus, allowing for diverse paths and multiple connectivity options
- Four points-of-entry (POEs) for the campus ensuring maximum path diversity for inbound carriers
- Diverse fiber pathways into the campus (minimum 2 paths per carrier)
Stringent security and safety measures are hallmarks of every Vantage campus. Our JNB1 campus is no exception, so you can rest easy when it comes to the security of your digital assets.
- On-site security operations center with patrols 24x7x365
- K12-rated fencing around the perimeter, with impact protection
- CCTV on all access control points throughout the entire campus
- Dual authentication for customer and critical infrastructure areas
- Visitor management system with controlled and monitored access points and stringent access control policy
Our commitment to offering a superior customer environment is unsurpassed. Providing an atmosphere within each data center that helps you and your personnel relax, recharge and work more efficiently is essential. The JNB1 data center campus will include dedicated customer office space, conference rooms and large-scale break rooms.
- Dedicated offices and workspaces customizable to your needs
- Secure storage with easy access between data modules
- Multiple conference rooms and meeting spaces throughout the campus
- Located within Waterfall City surrounded by restaurants, hotels, shopping and entertainment venues
Vantage Data Centers builds and operates our campuses in ways that prioritize sustainability and environmental responsibility, all while delivering the reliability that is our hallmark. Our baseline approach includes using renewable energy whenever possible, limiting carbon footprints and maintaining energy efficient operations with industry-leading PUEs.
- Hyper-efficient cooling with outside air economization
- Sustainable underground (natural) drainage on site
- Permeable hard landscaping to increase the gross external area for nature
- Electric vehicle charging stations for cars and bikes
- Small things that add up over time: recycling, motion-sensor LED lights, drought-resistant landscaping and more